Robin Barrie Kaiden, MS, RD, CDN, CSSD is one of the nation’s leading experts in personal wellness, nutrition, physical fitness, and weight loss. As the founder of Robin Barrie™, her Manhattan-based practice and consulting group, she has cultivated a following for developing individualized, realistic, and results-oriented plans that ensure diet and fitness goals are achieved and maintained for a lifetime.
This white/yellow dish will appeal to those picky eaters who don’t love their vegetables! It is a high-fiber, lower-fat version of the always-favored mac and cheese. Serve with a salad or green vegetable to balance out the meal.
Ingredients: 1 cup uncooked whole wheat or rice pasta (over-cooked for the little ones; diced penne, rigatoni or elbows work well for finger foods), 1 cup fresh cauliflower finely chopped and steamed, 1 cup yellow squash (or acorn or butternut squash) cubed and steamed, 1 yellow pepper diced and steamed, 1 cup mild shredded cheddar cheese, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Cook pasta as per package directions. I love using the brown rice shells.
- Steam all vegetables. Make all items softer (steamed for longer periods of time) if you are cooking for younger infants. Adult portions can be removed first and put aside.
- Add all ingredients to a nonstick, cooking-sprayed or olive oiled baking dish.
- Bake uncovered in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes, or until cheese melts and/or bubbles and browns a bit.
- Add a small extra layer of cheese and a sprinkle of bread crumbs for a rich finish, if desired. Broil in oven for additional 10 minutes until top browns.
VEGETABLE MACARONI AND CHEESE
- 1 Cup Uncooked Whole Wheat Or Rice Pasta (Over-Cooked For The Little Ones; Diced Penne, Rigatoni Or Elbows Work Well For Finger Foods)<br /><br />
- 1 Cup Fresh Cauliflower Finely Chopped And Steamed<br /><br />
- 1 Cup Yellow Squash (Or Acorn Or Butternut Squash) Cubed And Steamed<br /><br />
- 1 Pc Yellow Pepper Diced And Steamed<br /><br />
- 1 Cup Mild Shredded Cheddar Cheese<br /><br />
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese<br /><br />
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil<br /><br />
Cook Pasta As Per Package Directions. I Love Using The Brown Rice Shells.
Steam All Vegetables. Make All Items Softer (Steamed For Longer Periods Of Time) If You Are Cooking For Younger Infants. Adult Portions Can Be Removed First And Put Aside.
Add All Ingredients To A Nonstick, Cooking-Sprayed Or Olive Oiled Baking Dish.
Bake Uncovered In A Pre-Heated 350 Degree Oven For About 15 Minutes, Or Until Cheese Melts And/Or Bubbles And Browns A Bit.
Add A Small Extra Layer Of Cheese And A Sprinkle Of Bread Crumbs For A Rich Finish, If Desired. Broil In Oven For Additional 10 Minutes Until Top Browns.