Veggie Packed Wheat Berry Salad
With this amazing weather on the East Coast this weekend, who else is excited to eat, drink and hang outdoors for a change of pace?! ?? This is an amazing, refreshing nutrient dense, high fiber side dish for your backyard BBQ lunch or dinner. Serve over a bed of greens and add some lean protein for a balanced meal. Let me know what you think!
- 1/2 cups hard wheat berries
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 scallion chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup of grilled yellow squash, chopped
- 1/2 cup of grilled zucchini, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot combine the wheat berries and enough water to come 2 inches over the wheat berries. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 1 hour, or until tender. Drain and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, pecans, yellow squash, zucchini, dried cranberries, scallions, parsley, olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!