- 1 cup steamed beets, pureed
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 8 oz cream cheese (or dairy-free alternative), room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1–2 tsp almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with parchment liner cups.
- Add steamed beets to food processor to purée, then add in eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, vinegar, vanilla until mixed well.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Add ingredients from food processor to bowl and mix well.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full. Makes 12 full-sized cupcakes.
- Bake in oven for 20-22 minutes.
- Allow to cool before frosting.
- (While cupcakes are in oven)
- Mix all ingredients in a stand mixer or food precessor to desired consistency.
- Spread directly on cooled cupcake OR place in pastry bag or ziplock bag with a corner hole cut out (like I did!) to make it a little fancy.
- Refrigerate frosted cupcakes for up to a week and ENJOY!