I have a confession: I have been looking at, admiring recipes for, and even recommending overnight oats to friends and clients for a while now. But it was not until yesterday that I actually made some for myself. There is no particular reason: I eat plenty of hot oatmeal and all the other ingredients on a regular basis. Perhaps it was the warm weather that inspired me this week?! (Although yesterday felt like fall again….)
Anyways, since I had time to do a big, long grocery shop trip this weekend, I made sure I had all of the ingredients and put together my fist trail Saturday night for Sunday morning. Let’s just say it was not a success and I ended up adding more ingredients so it was edible. I will add a disclaimer right here: I am not a chef! I am a Registered Dietitian and Mom who cooks, but I do my best, and I get decent reviews from my family on my recipes!
Last night I was determined to get it right because I know this breakfast/snack has such healthy potential:
- Oats: high in fiber – a good carb that gives energy and helps you feel full
- Almond Milk: low in calories and nice flavor
- Chia Seeds: High in protein, Omega-3s and filling since they expand in liquids and the belly
- Almonds: high in fiber, protein and good fat, they help decrease cravings and lead to a flatter stomach
- Bananas: high in potassium, they help restore electrolyte balance and decrease excess fluid in the body
- Strawberries: high in Vitamin C, which is great for skin and fighting colds.
I got the recipe right last night and enjoyed a great breakfast today to fuel me through my morning routine. Give it a try and feel free to switch out milk, nuts, and/or fruits to make new creations. I will definitely be doing that to try out new combinations!