Red Velvet Cupcake
- 1 cup steamed beets, pureed
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 8 oz cream cheese (or dairy-free alternative), room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp almond milk
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with parchment liner cups.
- 3Add steamed beets to food processor to purée, then add in eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, vinegar, vanilla until mixed well.
- 4Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- 5Add ingredients from food processor to bowl and mix well.
- 6Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full. Makes 12 full-sized cupcakes.
- 7Bake in oven for 20-22 minutes.
- 8Allow to cool before frosting.
- 10(While cupcakes are in oven)
- 11Mix all ingredients in a stand mixer or food precessor to desired consistency.
- 12Spread directly on cooled cupcake OR place in pastry bag or ziplock bag with a corner hole cut out (like I did!) to make it a little fancy.
- 13Refrigerate frosted cupcakes for up to a week and ENJOY!
My favorite type of cake is red velvet. In my opinion, nothing beats that hint of chocolate with cream cheese frosting combo. My kids love this too: however, I don’t love the thought of putting red dye in any of our bodies. So…..natural food coloring to + superfood ingredient: BEETS to the rescue! They are a good source of fiber, folate, potassium, Vitamin C, and antioxidants. Plus they help to detox the body. And they have such a mild taste that they work well in this recipe. I made these for my son’s birthday, but they are also the perfect patriotic gluten-free refined sugar-free and dairy-free cake recipe for this memorial day weekend! Enjoy and let me know what you think. Happy Memorial Day!