The rice is right! (I couldn’t resist!) For Turmeric Tuesday, I made this dish using Jasmine rice. Make sure to choose brown or whole-grain basmati and jasmine rice when possible. They have more protein and fiber than white rice. Give them a try! Although if you truly love white rice that’s ok too when using proper portions. Fun fact: make sure you add black pepper to your dishes made with turmeric: it aids in improved absorption of turmeric, thus more antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits! Pair this dish with a lean protein and some veggies and you’ve got a complete meal! Plus this seasoning and flavor combo is so fun and different.
- 1 cup of jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups of vegetable stock or water
- 2 teaspoons of powdered turmeric
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- Fresh herbs. I use parsley, basil, oregano and dill
- 1/4 cup of roughly chopped almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the rice, turmeric, salt, pepper, cumin and vegetable stock/ water in a pot. Bring to a boil. Cook rice as directed on package (cooking time will vary based on what rice is used).
- Once rice is cooked, mixed in fresh chopped herbs and stir in lime juice and chopped almonds.
- Top with almonds, fresh herbs and salt/pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!