It’s FINALLY Summertime! Memorial Day Weekend is here. Let the summer BBQs begin! This year I would love to help you think of all the healthy options that can be part of your party or family meals all season long. This is THE time of year to take advantage of all the fresh, organic, local, and delicious produce. Barbecues and dining al fresco are certainly NOT just about burgers and hot dogs!
This is one of my favorite salads, not only because of the fun flavor combinations BUT due to its super skin powers. In addition to wearing sunblock, moisturizing and hydrating with plenty of water, eating meals that include this dish will definitely enhance your glowing summer skin.
Here’s why this salad has super skin powers:
- The spinach is very high in Vitamin A. With more than the Daily Value of Vitamin A just in one cup, it can help promote cell turnover and inhibit oil gland activity and help prevent acne. Without sufficient Vitamin A, skin can become dry, rough and scaly. Vitamin A is fat soluble and spinach contains no fat, BUT the olive oil and avocado help for the best absorption.
- The spinach, berries, avocado, AND almonds all contain FIBER. Fiber improves digestion, helps rid the body of waste and decreases inflammation, all of which is great for the skin.
- Spinach, berries, lemons, and avocados are great sources of Vitamin C, which is an antioxidant that protects the skin from environmental pollutants and toxins and prevents bruising. It also aids in collagen production and improves blood vessel dilation, which brings more blood and nutrients to the skin. It helps in quicker healing.
- Spinach is one of the best sources of Potassium, which helps with fluid balance, and skin is healthiest when hydrated.
- Almonds and avocados are high in Vitamin E, which is an antioxidant that helps repair and protect the skin. It helps protect skin from UV light and free radical damage.
- Avocados contain healthy fat, which helps keep skin moisturized from the inside out. They also have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits that are great for the skin.
- 1.5 cups spinach leaves
- 8 raspberries
- 8 blackberries
- 1/4 avocado diced
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste OR
- 1.5 Tbsp of one of my favorites: Tessamae’s Organic Lemon Garlic dressing (I find this at Whole Foods!)
- Toss all ingredients together and ENJOY!