It’s still cold and rainy here in the East this April, so I’m craving allllll the warm comfort foods-especially being at home so much. I don’t often make soup myself but this one was SO simple and delicious-not to mention vegan and plant-based. Butternut squash is a great source of potassium, fiber, and Vitamins C and A, so it aids in digestion, skin health, and immunity. Carrots are also a good source of fiber and potassium and of course vitamin A (beta carotene). Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and can even help alleviate stress (and depression) which we could all use right now!
Try this soup with a side of greens and topped with pumpkin seeds for a balanced meal. Let me know what you think!
- 1 large butternut squash
- 5 large carrots
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 white onion
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1 can of organic coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel the carrots and add in a baking dish with the garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil. Add the carrots and whole butternut squash in the oven. Cook for around 45 mins to 1 hour or until fork tender.
- Cut the squash and separate the seeds. Scoop out the squash. Set aside.
- In a large pot, add chopped onions turmeric, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper and olive oil. Sauté until lightly browned. Add in vegetable stock and coconut milk. Then add in carrots, garlic and squash. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 5 mins.
- Let sit until cool enough to transfer to a blender. Blend the ingredients until smooth. Transfer back to large pot and heat until the soup becomes the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!