I know many of you have taken on the fun, nutritious, organic, environmentally-conscious, and admirable task of creating your own summer gardens. (I applaud you as I definitely don’t have a green thumb myself!) This is a PERFECT summer recipe to enjoy all the summer squash, zucchini, peppers, and tomatoes fresh from your garden (or a friend’s or from the farmer’s market). This colorful dish is amazing for summer skin with Vitamin C as an antioxidant in the peppers and the lycopene in the tomatoes, which acts as an internal sunblock, especially with the aid of olive oil to enhance its absorption. All the fiber in the veggies is great for digestion which can support skin health as well. Enjoy this simple recipe as a side dish or add a source of protein (beans, tofu, cheese, chicken, or fish) to make a complete meal! Don’t forget to tag me in your creations!
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1 summer squash large cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium tomatoes , large dice
- 1 large pepper, diced
- 5 large basil leaves, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup of otamotfoods tomato sauce
- Heat 5 tablespoons of the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until slightly browned.
- Add the garlic, thyme, bay leaf and basil. Stir.
- Add tomatoes, peppers and otamotfoods tomato sauce.
- Bring to a simmer then turn down the heat to low. Let simmer for 45-50 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf. Top with fresh basil. Serve and enjoy!