- 3 zucchini, ends removed, sliced lengthwise, and inside seeds scooped out
- 1 pound ground chicken meat (you can use lean ground beef or lean turkey, but I prefer chicken)
- ½ package (or at least one cup) frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves (or 1 cup frozen spinach)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil or cooking spray (to coat pan and baking tray)
- 3/4 cup Rao’s marinara or Otamot sauce (or other red sauce you like)
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated/shredded Parmesan cheese
- red chili flakes, salt, and pepper to taste (as desired)
- (You can also add chopped peppers, mushroom, or any other desired vegetables!)
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Sauté chopped onion over medium heat in a coated pan (olive oil or cooking spray) until onions appear clear and start to brown.
- 3Add spinach, cauliflower rice (and other vegetables if desired) and stir until it cooks down.
- 4Add ground chicken to pan. Continue to stir until meat is mostly cooked. (It’s preferred that it is more under versus overcooked at this point, as it will have time to cook more in the oven later.)
- 5Add marinara sauce to chicken and vegetables.
- 6Place zucchini boats on an oiled baking tray (olive oil or cooking spray) and begin to fill with chicken mixture.
- 7Cook filled boats for about 40 minutes.
- 8At about 35 minutes remove from oven and add sprinkled cheese
I made up this #robinbarrieapproved recipe after my husband loved a similar dish at a local Westchester, NY market. I changed up the ingredients, and it has been a true staple in my house, and loved by friends, neighbors, family, and followers alike! It spans states from NY to NJ, MA, CT and beyond. I am SO happy so many people are enjoying this. I recently made even another improvement: by adding #cauliflowerrice , it is now higher in fiber and more filling and satisfying. If you haven’t already tried, please do and let me know what you think! It’s PERFECT for this frigid #winterweather that just descended on us today in the East. I saw SNOW FLURRIES outside my house today!!!! Have a great weekend everyone!