Vegetable Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 cup fresh cauliflower finely chopped and steamed
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat or rice pasta (over-cooked for the little ones; diced penne, rigatoni or elbows work well for finger foods)
- 1 cup yellow squash (or acorn or butternut squash) cubed and steamed
- 1 yellow pepper diced and steamed
- 1 cup mild shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1Cook pasta as per package directions. I love using the brown rice shells.
- 2Steam all vegetables. Make all items softer (steamed for longer periods of time) if you are cooking for younger infants. Adult portions can be removed first and put aside.
- 3Add all ingredients to a nonstick, cooking-sprayed or olive oiled baking dish.
- 4Bake uncovered in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes, or until cheese melts and/or bubbles and browns a bit.
- 5Add a small extra layer of cheese and a sprinkle of bread crumbs for a rich finish, if desired. Broil in oven for additional 10 minutes until top browns.