High fiber pretzels
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups plain yogurt (I used @siggisdairy)
- 2 heaping Tbsp ground flax*
- 2 Tbsp honey*
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Kosher or pink Himalayan salt, plus extra for topping -1 egg, whisked
- Toppings as desired: cinnamon/sugar, Everything But the Bagel seasoning. (*These are optional. I like the flax for more fiber and the natural honey for a touch of sweetness.)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- 3Add to a large bowl flour, yogurt, flax, honey, baking powder and salt.
- 4Begin mixing with a spoon but then get those hands in there to knead the dough.
- 5. Once you have one big ball of dough formed, divide into 8 equal parts.
- 6. Roll the dough between your hands or on a counter or cutting board to form a long thin rod.
- 7Twist into pretzel shape then place on the baking sheet.
- 8Brush each pretzel with egg wash then top with salt as desired.
- 9Add toppings.
- 10Bake in oven for 20 minutes. ENJOY!!
These are not your ordinary refined flour pretzels: they are high fiber (from whole wheat flour and flax) and high protein (from the yogurt). This means they help keep you fuller longer as a more balanced snack than plain/regular pretzels/chips. They are great brain food for home school. Plus, with zero added oils, refined sugar/flour, fillers, additives, or preservatives, they are such a healthy option.
They are quick and easy to make because there is no yeast added, so you don’t have to wait for the dough to rise. My kids swear they are just as good as mall pretzels! Give them a try and let me know what you think! Thank you for this recipe inspiration @joybauer !