Deliciously decadent protein packed brownies
- 1 can (about 1.5 cups or 14-15 oz) black beans (If you use dry beans, rinse then soak overnight. Rinse again then drain before cooking. This recipe uses cooked beans!) -2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup oat flour (or blended quick oats)
- 1/4 tsp salt (I use Himalayan pink.)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup organic maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- PLUS extra for the top!
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- 2Grease an 8x8 pan with coconut oil or butter as desired.
- 3Add all ingredients except chocolate chips to food processor, and blend until completely smooth. I used the 4-cup @cuisinart one, but use what you have and just blend well.
- 4Stir in chocolate chips, then pour into the pan. I used a rubber spatula to get it all out and smooth the mix.
- 5Sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top.
- 6Bake for 18 minutes.
- 7. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting. Slice into 9-12 brownies. Enjoy!
I believe in all treats in moderation; HOWEVER, I prefer baking with all real-food, non-processed ingredients to make the healthiest treats possible for my family. When I can add in a #superfood, even better! This recipe hides the black beans in the brownies. Plus its gluten-free (with gluten-free oats, baking powder, and vanilla extract) egg-free, dairy-free, vegan and plant-based! I promise you can’t even taste the beans! Plus they provide 3 grams of fiber per brownie (1/9 of the batter)! Kids aged 1-3 need 19 grams of fiber per day. Kids 4-8 need 25 grams. Fiber is so important for digestion and gut health even in kids and sometimes hard to get into their diets. (I have plenty of tips and tricks if you need any!). These vegan brownies can help!
Let me know what you think! Recipe inspired by @chocolatecoveredkatie